Sunday, April 6, 2008

The other City Hall cornerstone

Forgot to mention a significant item on the previous posting about the former City Hall Building.

When the new corner stone was laid on the old City Hall, on June 20th, 1921, the corner stone from the original 1884 Longmont City Hall was placed at the southeastern corner of the building (see blue circle below):

And closer up:

Lewis H. Dickson was the first mayor of Longmont. He was born on January 18, 1834 in Ohio (Franklin County), and married Emily Sharp, also from the Columbus, OH area, in 1854. Lewis came to Colorado in 1859 from Wisconsin with his brother Joel, looking for gold. A year later, he went back to Wisconsin to retrieve his family and when they returned, they settled on a piece of land four miles east of Longmont on the St. Vrain. In 1869, the Dickson family left Longmont for Oregon City, OR (just south of Portland) but they returned to Colorado in 1873, and to Longmont in 1880. He became very active in the community and in the insurance business. Not only did he serve three terms as mayor but he also was both justice of the peace and police magistrate!

No comments: