Tuesday, July 30, 2013

North Florida Visit

In the definitely not-Longmont-related category, a few pictures from a visit last week to north Florida, particularly the Tallahassee area. 

Many years ago, I used to live here but the Lafayette Heritage Park and trail system was built after I left:


Wishing I had a bike when I took this picture:
 

Trailhead for the Cadillac Trail:
 

 On to the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge on the Gulf.  The lighthouse looks like it could use a scrubbing or whitewashing but I'm sure they are under budget pressure:


Compare this with a picture from five years ago, or the picture here:

 
This memorial bench by the lighthouse is new, over the past year.  I had not heard of John Burroughs before but I like the quote.
 



It's been a good year, so far, for rain and the lakes are all full.  This is at Lake Talquin State Park:


Steep descent on the boardwalk, down to the lake:
 

Finally, a pond at Innovation Park, Tallahassee.  My dogs used to love swimming here on hot days.  The decaying dock is roped off, probably because it is unsafe, but I remember when it was new:
 
 

No comments: