Thursday, October 11, 2012

Full house for the Boulder County Paranormal Research Society


An overflow crowd showed up at the Longmont Library tonight to hear a presentation from the  Boulder County Paranormal Research Society (BCPRS).  I'm behind on my pop culture but I guess there are a few popular TV shows these days that cover ghost hunting and paranormal activity, which may explain the large number in attendance.  Anyway, BCPRS has been around for a few years now and they describe themselves as being more skeptical than other similar organizations on the Front Range.

Their full presentation is on their site.  Here's a few notes I remember from their talk:
  • Never pay for a paranormal investigation.  Ever.  A payment implies a delivery of results, of which there may be none whatsoever. 
  • BCPRS always tries to look for rational explanations.  A pigeon tapping on a window or some vibrations from a nearby railroad track may be the cause of that noise you're hearing.
  • Paranormal investigation tends to be a lot of waiting with no results.  Some investigators have not lasted long with BCPRS because they expected more action, like the TV shows depict. 
  • Their McClelland School story from Pueblo, CO was compelling.  This was a true house of sadness when it was an orphanage and tuberculosis treatment center.
  • The term paranormal is not really accurate.  There is really just the normal that we don't fully understand,
I'm skeptical myself but I enjoyed their talk.   Their investigation page lists a few structures in Longmont, which I intend to read about.  Maybe they should visit the Hansen Building and listen for ringing telephones.

1 comment:

G.E. said...

Wow... sounds like a cool talk. I'm sorry that I missed it, but it sounds like it might be worth checking out more info. :O)